Saturday, April 11, 2009

Two year olds, talking, and duct tape!


In my family I am the queen of remembering useless pieces of information. I can remember the telephone number of my grandparents when I was a little girl, I remember everyones birthday, dates of death, different peoples social security numbers, just random anything. Last night though, my mother had a memory that I didn't remember.

Let me set the stage. In the car was my mom and myself in the front seat and Jessica and Kaitlyn in the back. We were riding out to Smithfield(about 20 miles from my house) to pick up almost two dozen homemade Easter eggs from my niece Sarah, who by the way is one of my three blog followers. Sarah makes yummy desserts and last year made the chocolate covered Easter eggs with everyones names on it. Needless to say, I had to order them again for this year(ok, Sarah, here's your hint, this will now be an annual order). So we are riding and we've probably been in the car for about ten minutes and during that time Kaitlyn NEVER stops talking. If anyone has or has been around a two year old girl then you know exactly what I mean. The chattering will go on forever.

About this time, there is a stop on the interstate and we are sitting at a standstill. The chattering continues with questions that are typical such as "Why are we stopping", "Where are we going", "I want.....", "don't touch me Jessica" and other random things. My mother looks at me and says during this "Was it you or your brother that I duct taped your mouth shut?" I'm sure my expression said it all! A tilt of the head, and a questioning look, made me remark "Well, I never remember you taping Scott's mouth shut and he didn't talk that much, so it must have been me." With that she said yes, it was you. In fact she went on to elaborate how shocked my expression was and how I whimpered when trying to pull off the tape. She then proceeded to laugh and say that she would be locked up now if she had done something like that.

Now, I never remember my mom spanking me except for once or twice. She was a wonderful mom and I couldn't have asked for any better, but you should have seen the almost absolute glee in her expression when she was telling me about this story. She couldn't believe that I didn't remember it. Of course, by the time we got to Smithfield, picked up the eggs, and were almost home, I certainly can understand the excitement that she exhibited because if I had had some duct tape in the car, Kaitlyn would have definitely experienced what I had experienced many years ago. Now I know why you should have children in your twenties and not in your forties. Your patience just can't a handle it anymore. I must admit though we all participated in a rousing renendition of the monkey song on the way home. You know the one "Five little monkeys jumping on the bed, one fell off and bumped his head, took him to the doctor and the doctor said "No more monkeys jumping on the bed"!!!

Oh, the joys of having a two year old around!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment